Sunday, November 7

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,

Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. This is my favorite line from Hamlet, and one I have always taken to heart. It is in part, coupled to a very active imagination, the reason I have an extremely open mind. I abhor the use of the tag "conspiracy theory" to stifle debate, simply because someone refuses to wrap their head around the possibility that some things may not be accidental, or that conventional wisdom might just be a cover story for an ugly truth.

Most of us carry a carefully developed variety of assumptions that assist us in making sense of the world. When evidence might challenge one of these assumptions, we are much more likely to challenge the evidence than question the assumption. History is littered with shattered assumption: There are four elements, the earth is flat, the earth is the center of the universe, the earth is only 5,000 years old. I expect that many commonly held assumptions will fall by the wayside as history marches on.

Where Am I going with this? I am not sure, but I think that it is helpful to evaluate and challenge your assumptions, and articles of faith from time to time. As nice as it would be to live in a world of white and black, the one I occupy includes every shade of grey. Hell, I am grey. 400 years ago, my ancestors were living on 3 continents, Africa, Europe, and North America. One of these days I will explain how a trip to the grocery store at the age of 3 1/2 led me to an understanding that something was fundimentaly wrong with the world, an assumption that has withstood the test of time.

In other news I would suggest that you take a look at this rant from my friend Bellatrys at Nothing new under the sun.