Saturday, July 24

Say it ain't so John

The GOP, champions of fairness, protectors of the white to vote, and like good old regular folk they sometimes get all those fancy words mixed up in their mouths. Our friend the honorable John Pappageorge, state rep, R-Troy, is taking a little heat for this blunder:
Pappageorge, 73, was quoted in July 16 editions of the Detroit Free Press as saying, "If we do not suppress the Detroit vote, we're going to have a tough time in this election."
Now I can't for the life of me figure out what anyone might find offensive in this statement. He obviously meant impress not suppress. Everybody knows that champions of this Democratic Republic consider all votes equal and fight tooth and nail to make sure that they are all counted. Anyone who would suggest otherwise might just be one of those "nattering nabobs of negativity" that I have heard of. In fact I check under the bed before I go to sleep just in case one of them wants to ruin my dreams. Meanwhile back to our beleagered buddy (stop making me alliterate Michelle)
Blacks comprise 83 percent of Detroit's population, and the city routinely gives Democratic candidates a substantial majority of its votes.

Pappageorge's remark reflected the GOP's failure to send black voters a persuasive message, said Rep. Alexander Lipsey, D-Kalamazoo.
Just send the Dauphin and the dutchess's to Detroit and that'll fix it up lickety split. What? They wouldn't be caught dead, in downtown Detroit? My bad. I guess the message will have to trickle down from Troy, that bastion of lower middle class values.
"This is the endgame strategy the Republican Party has decided to utilize, rather than positive strategies," he said. "They are strategizing, "How can we get those folks we don't care about from going to the polls?"'

Pappageorge said he had not read the remark attributed to him but did not deny making it.

"In the context that we were talking about, I said we've got to get the vote up in Oakland (County) and the vote down in Detroit. You get it down with a good message. I don't know how we got them from there to "racist,"' Pappageorge said. "If I have given offense in any way to my colleagues in Detroit or anywhere, I apologize."
See, he meant up=good, down=good, down with a good message=good. Shoot everything is turning up DoublePlus Good. And see how he was quick to apologize to his colleagues, that just shows how congenial he is, which of course is good. Thanks to GOTV for the heads up.