Friday, July 30

Chris Matthews, Hero, Goat, or Whore.

Welcome to our new fair and balanced look at the fourth estate. Any unsourced innuendo about the private lives of the millionaire media mavens will be employed to suit our purposes.

We will also examine examples of on the air, honest to goodness journalistic integrity. Today we will take a look at a fine example of "wadda ya mean the story isn't about me". Last night during the runup to the Kerry acceptance speech, during the Band of Brothers tribute to the man they fought with, I shared this exchange on a comment thread at Atrios:
The MSNBC whores are now attacking the stage management and production.

Chris reminds us of his heroic service in the Peace Corps.

Why do I watch?

OK, here comes the action.
Now I chose to watch C-Span for the evening speeches, because I like to make up my own mind about what the people are saying, and quite frankly, I have had it with the obvious to anyone with a fucking brain, water carrying GOP shills. I let friends like Speedy and FourLegsGood among others, bring news of various examples of shamelesss punditude to my attention. When I saw the above my response was brief and to the point:
"Chris reminds us of his heroic service in the Peace Corps."

Yer shittin me right?
I'm sorry, but as you can see I was somewhat incredulous, I really thought that Speedy was, you know, exaggerating. I mean think about it, the swiftboat comrades, are being introduced or they are playing that vietnam footage, and Matthews, fidgeting in his chair, chooses to talk about himself, his service in the Peace Corp. While still finding it difficult to picture Chris Matthews would actually stoop to this level-"can it be about me yet", I get the reply:
I shat you not, kent.
Wow! Was my first thought. Confirmation. Was my second. Fucking unbelievably self-absorbed Gasbag. Was my third. The following was my fourth:
I'm gonna get homicidal
thanks speedy,
Im goin off on his ass tomorrow
So why is Chris "I get really bored, because I have a 15 second attention span" Matthews covering the convention at all. If the run up to a speech about to be given, makes him want to overcompensate for a shriveling manhood, by attempting to compare his valor in the field of agricultual education, (yep its a guess, I'm not gonna worry my pretty head, researching what exactly Tweety did in the peace corps, as I am sure will hear about that during a moment of boredom at the debates) in some unknown third world country to Kerry's multiple medal earning heroism under fire in Vietnam, then what the fuck is the dude doing there.
The everchattering pundits kept telling us about how we did not "know" who this Kerry fellow was and that he was going to have to define himself at this convention. If the above is remotely emblematic of the other "network and cable" coverage available to the people,
is it any wonder that people might have a difficult time getting to "know" JFK.

Chris Matthews, you are a stain on the Blue Dress of Jounalism. "At long last sir have you no sense of decency"? Last night was not about you. Last night was not about you, DIG.

The fairness doctrine needs to be reimplemented, our Republic and future of the country demand it. The FCC needs to represent the interests of the people and not the corporate interest of media consolidation.