Wednesday, August 18

more Loyalty oath related campaign activities

Teacher, 55, wanted to see a president

BY IAN C. STOREY
Record-Eagle staff writer
TRAVERSE CITY - Kathryn Mead wanted to see her first sitting president when George W. Bush visited the city.
Instead, Bush campaign staffers tore up the 55-year-old social studies teacher's ticket and refused her admission because she sported a small sticker on her blouse that touted the Democratic ticket of John Kerry and John Edwards.
"I had my ticket and photo identification, but they would not let me in because of this sticker," said Mead, a teacher at Traverse City West Senior High, who said she has seen Queen Elizabeth and Pope John Paul in person.
"I have never found this kind of screening anywhere in my travels around the world. I can't imagine being denied access to hearing the president of the United States speak."
Several people outside the campaign event tried to console Mead, who was visibly upset.
"It really is comedic," said a man holding a Kerry/Edwards sign. "What absolute nonsense."
Kate Stephan, chair of the Grand Traverse Republican Party, could not be reached for comment after the rally.
But Ralph Soffredine, a Traverse City commissioner, school board member and former police chief who worked security at the front gate, said it is part of the Bush campaign policy.
"We were told that anyone with stickers or shirts would not be let in if they would not take them off," he said. "(Mead) came to me after her ticket was torn up, but I told her there was nothing I could do.
"I know her and it was really too bad, but I would say that we had very few instances of that. I thought it went very well."
Yes very well indeed, if you live in a fucking police state. I have recently come to the conclusion that GWB aint my president. He ain't yours either. In his little fucking pinheaded dreamworld, he is the president of the funditudinists and the wealthy, and it's bonus if any Slack-Jawed idiots are willing to offer inblinking, unwavering fealty. Who do these fucks think they are? This is at least the 10th such story I have heard about people being exorcised from campaign stops, and these people have friends. But I'll go out on a bit of a limb and suggest that everyone has a right to listen to what the president has to say, period. Cause trouble, sure, your ass can be asked to leave, but this pre-emptive shit, patently UN-AMERICAN. It can't help them that the local papers are all over these incidents if only because it may reveal the disconnect between National and Local media, and people might begin to pay attention. Thanks to Maru for the heads up.